Sunday, May 20, 2012

Business Casual Wristlet

Last night I signed up for the Sewing Texture class with Vanessa Christenson on Craftsy.  I really like the twisting technique she used for making decorative flowers on projects.  It made me think about these old work clothes of John's I kept for my sewing stash.  Great silk ties and pants and shirts that are too worn out for the office but have plenty of usable material left in them for me to pilfer.  So, this afternoon I got cracking on one of the wallets I designed and decorated it with a twisted flower from the class.  I added a wrist strap to take it from a clutch to a wristlet.  All the materials (minus the two zippers, though I can harvest those from pants easily enough in the future) are upcycled from the menswear.


The exterior was a pair of charcoal colored, polyester pants.  Nice sheen and silky feel.  The interior was one of John's favorite shirts before its collar became frayed.  You should have seen his face when he saw me cutting it.  Ha!  The tie was this great brown with blues and oranges.  I took it apart and cut it down to 2.5 inches in width.

Here is the finished product:





I think it came out pretty well.  So much so that I will be transferring my moola to it after I post this.  I have plenty of shirts, pants and ties, so should be able to make a nice crop of these Business Casual wallets, wristlets and clutches.  Yay!

If you want to read a little more about this clutch, check out the project I posted to Cratfsy for the class.  

No comments:

Post a Comment